lgv, large goods vehicle and pcv, passenger carrying vehicle driver training

01977 618228


Driver training for all commercial, coaches, minibuses and other vehicles at a dedicated training & test centre.

How To Get A Provisional HGV Licence

To obtain a provisional HGV licence in the UK, you must hold a full car driving licence, be over 18, and pass a medical examination. Apply through the DVLA either online or by post, submitting the necessary health and identification documents.

The necessary health and identification documents required for a provisional HGV licence application in the UK include:

  1. D2 Application Form: The official form for applying for a lorry, bus or mini bus licence.
  2. D4 Medical Report Form: Completed by a doctor, confirming you meet the health standards for driving a large vehicle.
  3. Proof of Identity: A valid UK passport or other accepted form of ID to prove your identity.
  4. Existing Driving Licence: Your current full UK driving licence to show you hold a valid licence.

Ensure all documents are correctly filled out and submitted to avoid delays in the application process.

Now is the time to consider a job working as a Heavy Goods Vehicle, HGV or Large goods Vehicle, LGV driver. Why? Because of the national shortage of qualified drivers, it’s a good time for a change of career. Below we detail how to obtain your provisional HGV licence. However, for those who would prefer, you can contact L&T Training, where we can advise you. We have available starter packs explaining all you need to do to pursue your HGV licence. We also provide medicals onsite at our Fitzwilliam Training and Test Centre. 

Getting Started With Your Provisional Licence

You will first need to get the forms D2 and D4. D4 you can download from the DVLA website. You can not download the D2 form due to features that do not print. You must order the D2 form via the DVLA website or contact directly. You can sometimes obtain the forms at the Post Office, but there is no guarantee that they have the latest version. There is no cost to download the forms. This process though can take up to 6-weeks.

You will fill in the D2 form yourself. You will need to provide evidence if you have changed your name recently. Also, you need to send with the form your current driving licence, your photocard licence and the paper copy. To apply for a GB licence, you must reside in the UK for 185 days a year.

The D4 form needs to accompany your application. The D4 is a medical form to be signed by a doctor. There are medical and vision requirements which your doctor may be able to complete. If not, you need to see an optician or optometrist.

The D2 form—Section 3—also carries a vision assessment that you may need professional assistance with. Section 4 of the D2 form asks about your health. This has to be filled in alongside the D4 form. The form’s appendix has a list of conditions you have to report. Not informing the DVLA of them could land you with a £1,000 fine.

What You Need To Have

You must have a full GB licence, with full entitlement to category B or BE, to apply for a provisional HGV licence. If you have not had a provisional licence for a lorry before, your licence must show C/C1 Entitlement before you can start to learn to drive a lorry.

Proof Of Identity Required For The D2 Form

The easiest way is to permit access to your UK Digital Passport Info from the Identity and Passport Services (IPS). if you do not hold a UK Digital Passport, you can send:-

  • A passport or travel document
  • Birth Certificate along with
    • National Insurance number – shown on a DWP notification or letter
    • P45, P60 or payslip
    • Marriage or Divorce Certificates.
  • A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • Eu/EEA National Identity card
  • UK Certificate of Naturalisation

Accompanying Photo

Similar to a passport photo, there are instructions in the form that state how you should be facing, the colour and similar instructions. Your photo, again like the passport needs to be signed by suitable people, again clear instructions about who is acceptable are on the form.

L&T Training – Here To Help You On Your HGV Journey

Our training programme for HGV drivers is comprehensive, and we can help with filling out the necessary forms and making sure you dot the ‘Is’’ and cross the ‘Ts’. Including how to obtain your Driver CPU – Certificate of Professional Competence.

We are the best HGV training provider in Yorkshire. We can prepare you for your practical test to become a lorry driver. Get in touch with us today.

Share this

lorry driver training yorkshire

What you need to know

CLICK HERE to view larger video


Latest News

Start Your Enquiry

Fill out the details below to start an enquiry:

Stay in the Loop

To receive information about courses and special offers that can save you money, please add your details here.

Call Us Today: 01977 618228

If you need any further information or would like to book a training course please contact our friendly team who will be happy to help.

About L&T Transport Training Services

Formed in 1986 and a family owned and operated business, L&T provides instruction for anyone wishing to drive a vehicle from C1 (7.5T) to CE (artic) and D1 (Minibus) to D (Coach).

We also train drivers in the transportation of dangerous goods (ADR) and the operation of HIAB plant, Forklift and we are a JAUPT Approved Centre for Driver CPC Periodic Training.

Copyright © 2024 L&T Transport Training Services | HTML Sitemap | Privacy Policy

Web design by Website Design Derby Ltd | SEO by Freedom Search | Business Cloud Computing

Skip to content